Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Géode as Big as the Ritz

View from Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie
Photo credit goes to my darling girl

Wandering through Parc de la Villette in Paris, I spotted a giant gazing ball off in the distance. Against the overcast sky, it looked like a bubble with its edges barely delineated against the clouds.

Mirror ball

We had found La Géode, an enormous, mirrored, geodesic sphere, similar to EPCOT's iconic Spaceship Earth but with a highly reflective surface. At 36 meters (118 feet) in diameter, it is covered with 6,433 stainless steel triangles and is the equivalent of a 12-story building.

A selfie in one of the equilateral triangles with 1.2 meter (3.6 foot) sides.

Paris is famous for its Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre and other historical buildings. I found this very modern structure quite refreshing and this park to be where I felt surrounded by locals instead of tourists.


Can you spot the people at the bottom center of this photo?
See the red architectural folly off to the right?
I call it "Stairs to Nowhere."

Completed in 1985,  La Géode is an 400-seat Omnimax theatre showing IMAX films, 3D films, satellite concert events, and broadcasts of the New York City Metropolitan Opera. It is connected to Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie which is the largest science museum in Europe. Inside the museum is Cité des Enfants, a children's museum perfect for kiddos who have had enough of looking at art and churches and want some hands-on activities.

La Géode

IF YOU GO:


This post is part of "Travel Photo Thursday" on Budget Travelers Sandbox and "Oh the Places I've Been" on The Tablescaper. Check them out for more around-the-world travel inspiration.

16 comments:

  1. what an amazing thing! thank you! I love the way it reflects the surrounds.
    have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its gorgeous and I love the reflections

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I had never heard of this...I bet your kids had a lot of fun exploring the area. Magical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sky reflection photo is beautiful and I am astounded by this ball. Have not heard of it or seen a photo of it before (and how rare is that).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a fun find, I'm sure. Can't believe I missed it.
    Thanks for sharing, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first I thought is was the Chicago bean but no, it is a very unique interesting art object in a far away land from me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! I didn't imagine it was that big from the first picture. It does look like a bubble from a distance. I haven't heard of this and it's too bad. It's such a great contrast against the other famous monuments. Looks like Paris was a blast for the entire family. Hope Texas is just as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So gorgeous. I've never heard of this! I've been dying to take the family to Paris, and now I want to add la Geode to my list:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Michelle,

    I like how this amazing ball looks different from various angles. It looks so transparent in some of the photos and look so solid in some. It’s good to know that it’s more than an architectural installation but a functional structure. Thanks for sharing something unique about Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had never heard of this either, and I certainly would have made a detour to see it when I was in Paris had I known. Your pictures are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is cool, surprised I have never seen photos of this before!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cool! You're right, we all think of Eiffel Tower, Louvre, etc. but this is certainly one to add to the list.

    Great to have you at "Oh, the PLACES I've been!" Hope to see you this Friday!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Comment moderation is on, so your comment may not appear immediately.

Web Analytics